Here are a few facts about St Patrick’s Day to amaze your friends:
- Erin Go Bragh translates to “Ireland Forever”
- St Patrick (387 – 461 AD) is the patron Saint of Ireland although he was born in Roman-Briton (now England). His birth name was Maewyn Succat.
- There are 33.7 million U.S. residents who are of Irish ancestry. That number is almost nine times the population of Ireland itself.
- 19 Presidents of the United States proudly claim Irish heritage—including our first President, George Washington.
- The very first St. Patrick’s Day parade was in Boston in 1737. The largest parade in the US, held since 1762, is in New York City, and draws more than one million spectators each year. The first parade in Dublin wasn’t until 1931. In 1948 President Truman became the first president to attend a St. Patrick’s Day parade.
- 15 million cards are exchanged on St. Patrick’s Day (almost all in New York)
and 13 million pints of Guinness are consumed.